The Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards said in a statement on the anniversary of the assassination of its commander, Qassem Soleimani, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Iraq on January 3 of this year, that harsh revenge awaits those who killed their commander.
Muhammad Hijazi, a commander of the Quds Force, reiterated his threat to the United States. It should be noted that despite growing tensions between Iran and the United States, political rhetoric continues on both sides.
The deputy commander of the Iranian Quds Force, Mohammad Hijazi, said that the demand for severe revenge from the enemy remained. This means that revenge must be on those who ordered and carried out Soleimani’s assassination, but the timing and method of revenge depend on the circumstances.
“We will give the United States two more slaps,” Hijazi told reporters on Friday, according to the Revolutionary Guards’ Tasnim news agency. One is to end US influence in the region and the other is to withdraw US troops from Iraq.
“The United States killed our commander in Iraq,” he said. In response, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei ordered an attack on Iraq’s Ain al-Assad military base and a mass funeral for Soleimani in Iran.
Hundreds of people were killed and injured in a stampede at Qasim Soleimani’s funeral in Iran in January 2020.
The Iranian official’s statement came at a time when tensions between the United States and Iran continue. After last week’s rocket attacks on the US embassy in Iraq, US President Donald Trump warned Iran that Tehran would have to pay the price if it attacked their interests in Iraq.