Chinese national injured in Karachi firing incident

Staff Reporter BOL News

28th Jul, 2021. 04:48 pm

KARACHI: A Chinese national received bullet injuries on Wednesday near the Gulbai Chowrangi of the Hawksbay area of Karachi.

DIG South Javaid Akber told newsmen that two Chinese nationals were travelling in a car with their driver in the wee hours when unidentified assailants opened indiscriminate fire on them.

The driver and one Chinese national remained unhurt in the incident, while the other Chinese national sustained bullet injuries.

Akber also said that that investigation was still underway, while the motive behind the incident was yet to be ascertained. He confirmed that the victim was out of danger.

Rescue personnel told newsmen that the incident happened at around 8:00am when they were called to the incident site.

“We immediately rushed to the crime scene and transported the injured to [the] Civil Hospital,” he added.

The law-enforcement agencies have launched an investigation into the matter and cordoned off the area.

Earlier this month, at least 13 people – nine Chinese nationals and four Pakistanis – were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a shuttle bus, they were travelling, plunged into a deep ravine after an explosion onboard.

The bus was ferrying the Chinese and Pakistani workers to an under-construction tunnel site of the Dasu Hydropower Project in the remote Kohistan district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.

Following the incident, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Interior Minister Sheikh Rashid assured their Chinese counterparts of complete support in investigating the matter.

Qureshi also assured the injured Chinese nationals of the government’s all-out support and medical care.

PM Imran also spoke with his Chinese counterpart Li Keqiang and assured him that the government of Pakistani would spare no effort to fully investigate the incident.

Adsence 300X250