Tradies arms amputated after shock

Tradies arms amputated after shock

Tradies arms amputated after shock
Advertisement

After receiving an electric shock on a scaffolding project in West Auckland, a young father sustained horrible burns, had both arms amputated, and is battling for his life in hospital. On Tuesday last week, a high voltage current burst through Jahden Nelson’s body as he disassembled scaffolding at a Massey property. Toni Paikea, his mother, believes her 28-year-old son was carrying a steel pole when it collided with low-hanging overhead powerlines.

Paikea told the New Zealand Herald that a neighbor who observed the event heard a huge boom. “When the pole made contact with the powerline, she heard a loud noise and saw a large fireball pass through under the scaffolding.” Then [Nelson] passed out. I’m not sure how many volts pass across those cables. It was as if an atomic bomb had detonated in his body. It ran from one arm to the other, then straight down his leg and thigh.”

Nelson’s cousin was nearby and held the unconscious guy in his arms until rescuers came. It is believed that a second individual was also hurt. There are now questions about why the scaffolders were operating beneath live wires, as well as whether adequate health and safety standards were followed. Nelson, a dedicated father of three preschoolers, had a heart attack, burns to 25-35 percent of his body, and significant internal damage, according to his mother. He was airlifted to Auckland City Hospital for emergency surgery.

He was afterward transported to Middlemore Hospital’s burns unit and underwent intensive surgery to remove badly damaged tissue and avoid infection. He is on dialysis and is in intensive care in a critical but stable state. Paikea claimed she was forced to make the agonizing choice to amputate her son’s gravely wounded right arm last week after consulting with specialists. A few days later, his other arm was severed. “They suggested there might be additional [limbs].” I’m going to leave that up to God. This is something I would never want on anyone. It’s the most difficult thing a parent can go through. It’s a matter of life and death. “I have my son’s heart in my hands.”

Doctors believe the next few weeks will determine if Nelson survives. If he survives, he might be in the hospital for months and require years of therapy.

Advertisement

Since the accident, Paikea and Nelson’s sister have kept watch at the hospital, even sleeping in their car in the hospital parking lot.

She spent her first night at home since the accident yesterday, gathering clothing and “debriefing and regaining calm.” Only one guest is permitted in his room at a time due to the danger of infection. Nelson’s ex-partner and his children’s mother alternate with Paikea at her son’s bedside.

Paikea said the family had received messages of love and support from loved ones, some of whom had given food and were camping in cars at the hospital “to demonstrate their love and thanks for my kid.”
Vector Lines has sent the family a condolence letter and $1000 in petrol coupons.

Paikea stated that her son was an experienced scaffolder who had been in the profession since he was 16 years old. He was very aware of health and safety regulations. She questioned why the electricity had not been removed from the overhead cables while workers were present, a blunder she claimed had cost her family dearly.

It did clarify, however, that a “close approach permit” was obtained for the construction business to carry out work “while keeping safe distances from the electrical lines.”

Advertisement

 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Read More News On

Catch all the International News, Breaking News Event and Latest News Updates on The BOL News


Download The BOL News App to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.


End of Article
Advertisement
In The Spotlight Popular from Pakistan Entertainment
Advertisement

Next Story