The Lahore Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) has extended the judicial remand of the accused in the Motorway Gang Rape case and issued a show-cause notice to the investigating officer for not presenting the challan.
The motorway gang rape case was heard in the special anti-terrorism court where accused Abid Malhi and Shafqat Baga were produced before the court.
Once again, the police could not file a complete challan against the accused and the court issued a show-cause notice to the investigating officer for non-submission of the challan.
The court ordered to present challan int the next hearing in any case.
The anti-terrorism court extended the judicial remand of both the accused till February 15.
Note that the investigating officer had told the court in the last hearing on February 7 that the challan of the case had been handed over to the prosecution.
He had said that the prosecution would present the challan in the court as soon as the scrutiny process was completed.
The special anti-terrorism court on January 25 gave the police five days to file a challan in the motorway gang rape case.
Investigating officer Zulfiqar Cheema had once again asked the court for time to complete the challan and said that the police was conducting an investigation which would be completed soon.
Earlier on January 18, the police had also failed to submit the challan to the court within the stipulated time and the court had extended the remand of the accused, for another seven days.
The challan could not be submitted to the court despite the lapse of time stipulated by the Lahore Police.
Motorway rape case
It may be recalled that a woman was gang-raped by two armed men in the Gujjarpura area on the Lahore-Sialkot Motorway between Tuesday and Wednesday night, September 9, while she was waiting for help with her children when the vehicle stopped after running out of fuel.
The details of the incident revealed that a woman over 30 years of age, a resident of Defense Housing Society, Lahore, along with her two children, got stuck on the motorway at around 1 am when her car ran out of petrol.
Meanwhile, the woman had also called a relative, who had asked the woman to call the motorway helpline while he himself had left to reach the spot.
However, while the woman was trying to arrange for help, two men came and took her and her children (under the age of 8) at gunpoint to a nearby field. They raped the woman in front of the children, after which the men took away cash and valuables.
A relative of the woman who reached the spot after the incident had also registered a case of the incident at Gujjarpura police station in her complaint.
However, after the incident, Lahore CCPO Omar Sheikh had issued a statement which caused controversy and after that, persons from various walks of life demanded his removal.
Later, Inspector General of Police (IG) Inam Ghani issued a show-cause notice to Capital City Police Officer Lahore Omar Sheikh for victim-blaming, on September 14 he apologized for his statement.
Not only this, after the incident, there was intense anger among the people on which the government also took action and IG Punjab Police had formed various investigation teams while Punjab Chief Minister Usman Bazdar also organized a special session headed by provincial law minister Raja Basharat to form the committee.
on September 12, the Punjab Chief Minister along with IG Punjab Inam Ghani and others had said in a press conference that they had managed to reach the real culprits in less than 72 hours.
It was also informed on the occasion that the main accused in the incident was identified as Abid Ali and his DNA matched while efforts are underway to arrest him.
However, on September 13, co-accused Waqarul Hassan was arrested and he denied the allegations against him.
On September 14, the Punjab Chief Minister said that the accused involved in the rape of a woman, Shafqat, has been arrested, whose DNA not only matched the location samples, but he has also confessed to the crime.
On September 15, the Lahore Anti-Terrorism Court had sent the accused to jail on a 14-day judicial remand for raping a woman during a robbery on the Sialkot Motorway.
Later, Abid Malhi, the main accused in the motorway abuse case, was arrested from Faisalabad on October 12.
Abid, the leader of a four-member gang, was also wanted by the police in 10 other cases registered in different police stations in Punjab.
Police said on October 21 that the identification parade of the accused was completed at the camp jail where the victim identified the accused.