After the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) denied permission to let the Pakistan cricket team train, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has expressed its disappointment and wrote “strongly worded” emails.
“The PCB has sent two strongly-worded emails to the New Zealand Ministry of Health and New Zealand Cricket (NZC) and even considered pulling out of the tour in case the hosts fail to allow all cleared players to start their training and pursue cricket activities from Friday despite early assurance.”.
PCB CEO Wasim Khan in his email lamented the “non-professional” ministry’s attitude and wording in the handout issued on Friday and said,
“Laboratories are processing the team’s day 9 swabs, which were taken yesterday. Full results are pending.”
“The fact of the matter is that you had already shared the results of the swab and declared all negative who were negative from the third test. Why this thing was not mentioned in the handout that was issued well after the swab results were finalized. This is totally non-professionalism and meant to put Pakistan players under pressure. The PCB wants an explanation for this negligence,” Wasim Khan wrote.
Wasim Khan also expressed displeasure over the dismissal of training and said the players who were tested negative for the novel virus were put under extra pressure as they were not allowed to train and pursue intra-squad cricket activities.
“Denying them the opportunity is nothing less than putting extra pressure on the players who were consecutively tested negative for the fourth time during their nine-day confinement in New Zealand. Since they have repeatedly tested negative, there is no sane reason to deny them the opportunity to pursue training and to prepare for T20 and Test series. The NZC had promised to give the option to train following the fourth successive negative result of the Covid-19 test but players have been put under pressure by denying them the opportunity to feel at ease,” the email noted.
On Friday, the PCB high-ups held an emergency meeting and even considered the option of pulling out of the tour.
“Had it been the first week, possibly we would have decided to pull out of the tour? But we think that the players have already gone through nine days of confinement and testing times so it would be unjust to call them back. Just four days of the quarantine period have been left, as such, we have decided not to call the team back and let them complete the two-week quarantine period.
“It is also a reality that all the players who left for New Zealand tested negative in two rounds of testing in Lahore. However, they contracted the virus on the way to New Zealand.”
It should be noted here that 44 members have reportedly tested negative for coronavirus out of 54 the fourth time, Khan showed concern as the Day 9 swab testing results have not been revealed to the public yet.