- New Zealand’s must-win ICC World Cup match vs. Sri Lanka.
- Rain threat in Bengaluru adds uncertainty.
- Sri Lanka aims to secure ICC Champions Trophy qualification.
In the ongoing ICC Cricket World Cup 2023, New Zealand is set to clash with Sri Lanka in a crucial match on Thursday, November 9, 2023. The match is scheduled to begin at 2:00 PM local time (08:30 GMT) and will be held at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru, India.
New Zealand, a team that has been the runners-up in the last two editions of the World Cup, finds itself in a precarious position. After winning their first four games, the Kiwis have suffered four successive losses, including a rain-hit match against Pakistan where they posted a formidable 401 but were unable to secure a victory. As a result, New Zealand currently occupies the fourth position in the tournament table and desperately needs a win in this match to bolster their chances of reaching the semifinals.
However, the threat of rain looms large over the encounter, as the previous rain-affected match at the same venue last weekend against Pakistan ended in defeat for New Zealand. A washout could open the door for either Pakistan or Afghanistan, who have the same number of points as New Zealand but lag behind in net run rate, to leapfrog them and claim the last remaining spot in the final four.
New Zealand’s captain, Kane Williamson, remains focused on the game and remains undeterred by the weather uncertainties. “There’s lots of things that we can’t control, and the weather is one of those,” Williamson remarked. “At the end of the day, our focus will be on the cricket that we want to play and trying to put all our focus and energy into that.”
On the other side, Sri Lanka is also grappling with its own challenges. The 1996 champions recently lost a match against Bangladesh, where Angelo Mathews became the first cricketer to be dismissed “timed out” in an international match. Currently, Sri Lanka is placed eighth on the points table, and they are determined to maintain or improve their position to secure a spot among the top eight teams that will qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy in 2025.
The weather forecast for the match in Bengaluru suggests the possibility of rain for at least two hours during the game. While the Chinnaswamy Stadium is known for its ability to cope with rainfall, the match’s completion could be in jeopardy if the downpour persists.
In their previous encounters in the ICC Cricket World Cup, New Zealand and Sri Lanka have met on 11 occasions, with Sri Lanka holding a slight edge, having secured six victories compared to New Zealand’s five.
Both teams have faced a string of poor results in the tournament, with Sri Lanka suffering six losses in their eight games so far.
New Zealand Team News:
- Lockie Ferguson, who missed the previous two games due to an Achilles tendon injury, has now recovered and is available for selection.
- Fast bowler Matt Henry was ruled out of the tournament with a torn hamstring, and Kyle Jamieson has replaced him in the squad.
- Predicted XI: Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra, Kane Williamson (captain), Daryl Mitchell, Mark Chapman, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Tom Latham, Lockie Ferguson, Tim Southee, Trent Boult
Sri Lanka Team News:
- Despite injuries during the tournament, Sri Lanka is expected to have all players from their previous match available for selection.
- Predicted XI: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis (captain), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dhananjaya de Silva, Maheesh Theekshana, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka
As cricket fans and teams brace for an intense encounter, all eyes will be on the skies and the outcome of this critical match that could determine the fate of these two cricketing nations in the ICC World Cup 2023.
Islamabad United Names Mike Hesson as Head Coach for PSL 9
Mike Hesson appointed Islamabad United PSL 9 head coach. Hesson's coaching style...
To stay informed about current events, please like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BOLUrduNews/.
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/bolnewsurdu01 and stay updated with the latest news.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel https://bit.ly/3Tv8a3P to watch news from Pakistan and around the world