Amidst the ongoing heat wave alert for Karachiites by Pakistan Meteorological Department, the temperature will likely hit 42°C in Karachi today.
According to the PMD, the port city was under the influence of a high-pressure area over Central Asia as the sea breeze towards the city had been cut off.
The Pakistan Medical Association and other medical bodies have urged the people to remain cautious and vigilant, advising them to avoid venturing out in the sun from 11am till 4pm.
The temperature remained 37.7°C on Tuesday in the city but due to very low relative humidity, the feel-like temperature was not as higher as the actual one, officials said.
They said they were expecting dry conditions in the city during the next three to four days.
Meanwhile, the Administrator Karachi Iftikhar Ali Shallwani had given directives to put all the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) hospitals and 1122 rescue services on alert.
These steps were taken in wake of the heatwave predicted by the Met Office. All relevant officials and staffers have been asked to remain on duty round the clock.
How To Stay Safe During A Heatwave?
- Here are some of the tips advised by health experts to stay safe during the heatwave.
- Dress for the weather (wear loose-fitting and light clothing).
- Avoid exerting yourself outdoor during the day and plan most activities when the sun has gone down.
- Remember to stay hydrated (drink lots of water).
- Keep yourself cool by trying to stick to the shade. Don’t stay in the sun for too long.
- Always keep your head covered while outside.