A deer has been found dead in Thailand 7kg (15lb) of plastic bags and other rubbish in its stomach, raising the alarm on littering in the country’s waters and forests.
The 10-year-old deer, weighing about 200 kilograms, was discovered by national park rangers on Monday at the Khun Sathan National Park in northern Nan province. According to the details the deer had died at least two days earlier.
The south-east Asian country is one of the world’s largest consumers of plastic, with Thais using up to 3,000 single-use plastic bags each per year, whether for wrapping street food, takeaway coffee or packing groceries.
Marine animals like turtles and dugongs have died in its waste-choked waters, and autopsies have found that plastic in the stomach lining contributed to their deaths.
An initial examination showed that the deer had died from intestinal obstruction after consuming trash over time. Vets found plastic bags, used coffee and noodle packets, rubber gloves, handkerchiefs, underwear and a plastic rope in its stomach.
Officials said a 10-year-old deer was found dead in a national park in Nan province, around 630km (390 miles) north of capital Bangkok.
Earlier, Plastic bags have also been banned from Punjab following a cabinet meeting held in Lahore.
Headed by Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar, the meeting took place in Lahore on Monday to review the cleanliness in Lahore and other cities.