North Korea has slammed the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) over its recent missile tests, accusing it of double standards.
According to the international news agency, North Korea launched a new type of short-range ballistic missile last week, on which Washington had requested the UN Security Council’s sanctions committee.
According to Jo Chol Su, director-general of international organizations at North Korea’s foreign ministry, at a committee meeting on Friday, the United States called for additional sanctions on North Korea, calling the test a violation of UN resolutions and said that sanctions must be strictly enforced.
“This meeting was called to disregard our right to self-defence and warns of retaliation,” he said.
According to a statement issued by North Korea’s state-run CNA news agency, Jo Chol Su said it was a clear double standard in the light of UN resolutions denying an independent state to the United States.
“It is incomprehensible that at a time when many countries around the world are firing missiles to augment their defence and military capabilities, only our defence action is being openly condemned,” he added.
The statement came as North Korea criticized US President Joe Biden’s missile test, calling it a “first step” and “deep hostility.”
“We are in contact with our allies and partners and we will respond appropriately if North Korea’s provocative actions escalate,” Biden said.