Double Click 728 x 90
Double Click 900 x 250

Afghan Taliban agrees on 10 days truce with US


adminWeb Editor

17th Jan, 2020. 07:30 pm
Double Click 160 x 600
Afghan Taliban

Afghan Taliban has announced a ten day truce with United States in result of Doha Talks.

Suhail Shaheen – a spokesman for Taliban office in Doha tweeted, after a session of dialogue between warring parties held in Qatar.

Shaheen said in his tweet that “Taliban have agreed to implement a ten-day ceasefire with US troops and reduce attacks against Afghan government, if an agreement is reached with US negotiators during ongoing talks in Doha.”

Spokesman for Taliban said talks between the two sides were useful.

He said if an agreement is reached, the move could revive hopes for a long-term solution to the conflict in Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, US State Department spokeswoman has declined to comment on the matter.

On the other hand, U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation, Zalmey Khalilzaad also avoid to comment on it.

Afghan Taliban-US peace talks resume 

Taliban and U.S. negotiators met on Wednesday and Thursday to discuss the signing of a peace deal, according to a spokesman for the Taliban office in Qatar. The talks were “useful” and would continue for a few days, the spokesman, Suhail Shaheen, said on Twitter early on Friday.

U.S. President Donald Trump had called off the stop-start talks to end the 18-year war in September after an U.S. soldier was killed in an attack by the militant group.

They resumed but were interrupted again in December after the Taliban launched a suicide attack on a U.S. base outside Kabul killing two civilians.

Two sources close to the matter told the British News agency Reuters on Wednesday that the Taliban’s top leadership had now agreed to implement a 10-day ceasefire with U.S troops once a deal was signed in Doha, and to “reduce” attacks against the Afghan government, BOL News learnt.

Last month, the United States has restarted peace talks with the Taliban in Qatar after three months halt.

In September 2019, US. President Donald Trump had abruptly halted peace talks and all the diplomatic efforts that could end the America’s longest war, now the talks has been resumed where it was ended.

Double Click 300 x 250

Download BOL News App for latest news