The government of Pakistan has categorized the citizens into two groups; filer and non-filer. A filer is a person that is on the FBR active taxpayer list. On the other hand, a non-filer is a person who is not on an active taxpayer list.
Benefits of becoming a Tax filer
- The tax filers have to pay less vehicle token tax as compared to non-filers. For instance, if the vehicle token tax for non-filer is 20,000 then for filer it will be 10,000.
- If you are a filer then you have to pay 0.3% withholding tax on every transaction of more than 50,000. In contrast, the non-filers have to pay 0.4% withholding tax.
- When a tax filer buys an immovable property then he or she has to pay 50% less tax as compared to non-filers.
How to get NTN from FBR?
- First, open the FBR IRIS portal using the link https://iris.fbr.gov.pk/public/txplogin.xhtml.
- After that, click on registration for an unregistered person.
- Provide all the required details such as your CNIC number, name, address, etc.
- You will get two codes from FBR through SMS or email. Enter those codes in the relevant field.
- Click on the submit button. Your account will be created.
- Now, log in to your account. FBR will send you the username and password sent to you via email or SMS. Use the username and password to log in to your account.
- Click on draft and you will see a 181 application form.
- Click on the edit button to enter your details of NTN.
- Enter all the required information and attach all the required documents.
You will finally get an NTN from FBR in a few hours.
Documents required for NTN
- Copy of valid CNIC.
- Copy of recently paid electricity bill of the house (not older than 3 months).
- Latest payslip.
- Contact Numbers (Mobile & Landline) and valid Email address.
- National Tax Number (NTN) of Employer, Office Address, and valid Email address.
- For business NTN, you need to tell about the nature of the business, have to attach business letterhead and property or rental papers.
How to become a filer?
- After getting an NTN from FBR, go back to the IRIS portal and follow the steps given below.
- Open the IRIS portal again when you register yourself in the FBR system. https://iris.fbr.gov.pk/public/txplogin.xhtml
- After that, click on e-enrolment for registered person.
- You will see a form on your screen.
- Provide all the required information such as CNIC number, name, cell number, and valid email address, etc.
- Click on the submit button.
- You will get a password from FBR via SMS or email after you complete this e-enrolment registration.
- Enter the CNIC number in Registration No field and enter the password you received via SMS from FBR. Click on login.
- You will see the same draft option in it. Edit the form.
- Provide the relevant details in the Personal Tab, Business Tab, Property Tab, Link Tab, and Bank Account tab. Attach the relevant documents in it too.
- Make sure that the details are correct and are of the current fiscal.
- Click on the submit button.
- You will get a confirmation email from FBR.
- Finally, check the Active Taxpayer list whether you are added to the list or not.
How To Check Active Taxpayer Status
- Open the FBR official website.
- Click on “ATL income tax“. After that, you will see an active taxpayer list for income tax which you can download into your computer.
- Download the list and check your name in it.
How to check Active Taxpayer Status via SMS?
Apart from checking ATL status online, you can check via SMS as well.
- Open your mobile phone message app
- Type ATL (space) 13 digits CNIC number and send it to 9966
- In case of checking the ATL status of AOP or company, you have to type ATL (space) 7 digits NTN and send it to 9966.
How to ATL status via Online Portal?
- Open the following link in your web browser
- You will see two blank spaces of Registration number and date respectively.
- Enter your CNIC or NTN in the Registration No field. Type date as well.
- You will now see a captcha code given below the blank field. Write the code as it is and click on verify.
- After that, you will see ATL status.